By Kevin Williams
In Ohio, USA, we are firmly in the chokehold of a bullying January: snow, cold, wind, cold rain, etc. So what is the elixir to send that all away? A hearty, delicious casserole. This recipe comes from Indiana’s Amish country and it really is amazing comfort food on a cold day like today. My parents prepared it for their supper last night.
These casseroles part of a rich tradition of hearty “throw together” meals that are popular in Amish homes. They feed largely families quickly and cheapy and, mmmm,nothing better than a heaping helping of this on a cold winter’s night!
- 1 chicken, 2 - 3 pounds
- 1 /2 cup chopped green peppers or 1 /2 cup chopped onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ounces of noodles
- 1 can of mushrooms
- 1 1 /2 cups of shredded cheese
- 1 cup of buttered bread crumbs
- Cook chicken and remove from bones.
- Cook noodles in broth until soupy.
- Add chicken, peppers, mushrooms and cheese.
- Top with buttered bread crumbs
- Bake at 350 for 90 minutes.