These are Amish chocolate chip oatmeal bars that came out of the oven of Bontrager’s bakery in Clark, Missouri. This is an Amish bakery in the rapidly growing Amish settlement. The photo is by Jessica Salmond and the recipe comes to me from an Amish woman in Missouri, so this is probably the same basic recipe. In this photo the bars are cooling on a rack Try these amazing sounding bars yourself with the recipe below!
- ½ cup melted butter (1stick)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle position
- Melt the butter.
- Add the brown and white sugars and let cool a bit.
- Add egg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Add flour and mix.
- Then add the chocolate chips and oats and mix everything up.
- The dough will be quite stiff.
- With a spatula spread dough evenly into a greased 8x8 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25– 30 minutes.
- Cut into bars when cool.