Looking for an easy, hearty dish for supper tonight? Look no farther than homemade pizza loaf:)
This dish is very typical of the type that Amish cooks like to either invent or embrace: hearty, pizza-y, and easy. Plus it feeds a family of 6 or 8 people. This recipe comes to me from an Amish woman near Charm,Ohio, one of my favorite areas. One of our readers shared this photo of her completed recipe. One reader shared the idea of hollowing out a loaf of French bread and filling it with this loaf. Yum! Again, these types of meals are the stock and trade of most busy Amish cooks who have large families to feed but between laundry, mending, nurturing skinned knees, and helping with homework are pinched for time.
- 1 1 /2 pounds ground beef
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 /4 cup chopped onions
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 /4 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1 /2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 /4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine all ingredients except cheese.
- Pat half of mixture into a lightly greased oblong pan.
- Put cheese (reserve a few tablespoons) on top then cover with other half of beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top a few minutes before serving.