EGGS LA GOLDEN:This is an interesting recipe that was given to me by an Amish family in St. Ignatius, Montana. Most Amish families there do own hens that give them an ample supply of fresh eggs. The eggs find their way into numerous dishes, including this one. The Amish cook who gave it to me called it “Eggs La Golden” and, boy, the photo seems to bear that color out!:). Check out the recipe!
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices toast
- Melt the shortening in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and salt, and stir until well-blended.
- Slowly add the milk to the flour mixture, stirring constantly until a smooth paste is formed.
- Separate the whites from the yolks of the hard-cooked eggs.
- Finely chop the egg whites; stir the chopped egg whites into the white sauce until evenly combined.
- Season the sauce with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the toast slices on a platter and pour the white sauce over them. '
- Mash the egg yolks through a sieve and sprinkle lightly over the sauce.