By Kevin Williams
This is a classic, hearty dish that you’ll find gracing Amish kitchens this time of year. Now the secret to this is not bake the biscuits beforehand, just put them directly on top of the casserole and pop it in the oven and you’ll have the ultimate comfort food classic. You can use Rosanna’s easy biscuit recipe here, your own biscuit recipe, or, if you really want to cut corners, just buy a tube.
Serves: serves 6
- 1 package of refrigerated biscuits or equivalent homemade
- 1 1 /2 pounds ground beef
- 1 /2 cup hopped onion
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 10 3 /4 ounce can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
- 1 /4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 /4 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Grease and 8-cup casserole dish.
- Brown the beef with the onion in a large skillet over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the grease.
- Combine the cream cheese, soup, milk, salt, and ketchup in a medium bowl.
- Stir to blend.
- Add to the ground beef and stir well.
- Spoon into the prepared dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Place the unbaked biscuits on top.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake until the biscuits are browned and cooked through, 10 - 15 minutes.