By Kevin Williams
This is a super tasty casserole that comes from a woman in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania (Lapp is a common name there, not as much in other Amish settlements elsewhere).
This is one of these classic Amish country casseroles that are crowd pleasers, hearty plate-pilers. My parents fixed it this week and were quite pleased with the results, so if they are, I am sure you will be too.
This casserole, by the way, goes great with a side salad and some bread. My mom – being the mushroom lovers that we are – added a whole package of sliced mushrooms to this dish which they loved. So if I were going to fix it, I’d do that too. So, mushroom lovers out there, keep that option in mind,
Also, if you want some other Amish casseroles in this hearty vein, here are some of our favorite:
AMISH HAMBURGER CASSEROLE – My Mom used to make this one all the time, it is quite delicious!
AMISH SKILLET CASSEROLE – Another one that gets “yum” vote from me!
UNDERGROUND HAM CASSEROLE: An Amish classic
Now, here is a photo journey of my parents attempt at this casserole. Enjoy!
Serves: serves 6
- 1 pound macaroni noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 can mushroom soup
- 1 cup whole milk
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- ½ t Paprika
- ½ t Dried Parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 - spray a large oven dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta, in a large pot,
- Meanwhile, saute the Onion in the Olive Oil until soft - add the Ground Beef and cook until done.
- As soon as the Pasta is done - drain and return to the pot.
- Add the cooked Meat, Tomato & Mushroom Soups and one soup can of Milk to the Pasta - stir through - season to taste with Salt & Pepper.
- Transfer to the prepared oven dish - sprinkle with Paprika and Parsley - bake 25 - 30 minutes.