Caption: Biscuits form the foundation of this delicious recipe!
Pizza and the Amish. The Amish have had a love-affair with pizza just like the rest of America. The love affair is so strong, why stop at pizza? Amish cooks have found ways to transport the wonderful taste of `za to casseroles, breads, and, yes, there are even “pizza cookies” (although these just look like little pizzas, not taste)
So, combine another American favorite – scratch-made biscuits – with pizza and you get a supper made in culinary heaven! This is a recipe sent to me by a creative Amish cook in Kentucky and, wow, is it a good recipe. And the good thing is you can corners by just buying a tube of biscuits at the store, or you can make your own. If you are stuck for a recipe for good, easy homemade biscuit, you can use Rosanna’s recipe here.
And then jump into making the recipe. Here is this winner of a recipe!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 packages (12 oz. each) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 (15-ounce) can pizza sauce or homemade
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 package (3½ oz.) sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook beef until no longer pink; drain.
- Quarter biscuits; place in a greased shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Top biscuits with pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle beef over sauce.
- Layer with green pepper, onion, mushrooms, pepperoni, and cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25–30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 5–10 minutes before serving.