Okay, it’s now strawberry season and with Thanksgiving around the corner you probably are all focused on pies, pies, pies, but this a neat twist on a traditional cream puff recipe that I thought I’d share. You can file this away until spring or make it now to keep spring/summer alive longer. This photo is a superb one given to us from Mennonite photographer Cherlyn Beidler from Pennsylvania. She’s tremendously talented with the lens. This is a popular recipe for this pictured pastry. Yum!
HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY CREAM PUFFS
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- CREAM FILLING:
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar divided
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Additional sliced strawberries
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/3 cup (I used an ice cream scoop) 2-in. apart on a large lightly greased baking sheet (make 10). Bake at 400° for about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy
- In another large bowl, beat cream and remaining sugar until stiff. Fold in cream cheese and strawberries. Mix well. Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, cut tops off puffs. Fill cream puffs and replace tops. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, and serve with additional berries and mint leaves. Yield: 10 cream puffs.