- 1 cup sliced strawberry, divided
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 thawed package frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix together ½ cup strawberries, 6 tablespoons sugar, water, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining berries and lemon zest. Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets until they are about ⅛ inch thick.
- Cut out twelve 3-4 inch circles with a cookie cutter or glass from the two rectangles.
- Take the twelve circles and place on ungreased cookie sheets 1½ inches apart.
- Distribute the strawberry filling between the circles. Fold over the dough and press the edges tightly to seal.
- Brush the turnovers with the egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon sugar.
- Bake in the preheated over for 14-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.