AMISH MEAT PIE
1½ cups leftover meat
3 tblsp. flour
¼ cup drippings
1 cup milk
1 tblsp. grated onion
1/3 cup chopped pepper
Add flour to drippings and blend, add milk gradually and cook, stirring constantly until it thickens. Stir in the salt, onion and green pepper. Mix cut-up meat into the gravy and pour it into pastry lined baking dish. Top with crust and bake in hot oven (425 degrees F.) for 25 minutes.
BAKED CHICKEN POT PIE
2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1 1 /4 cups sliced carrots
2 /3 cups chopped onion
1 cup buttered, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 3 /4 teaspoons salt
1 /4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chicken soup base
3 cups chicken broth
1 1 /2 cups milk
4 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
2 pie shells, homemade or store-bought
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Boil the potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan over medium heat until almost tender., about 10 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and chicken soup base until blended.
- Gradually stir in the broth and milk.
- Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until thick.
- Add the chicken, peas, potatoes, and carrots to the broth mixture.
- Remove from the heat.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly between two unbaked pie shells.
- Use some water to wet rim of the bottom crusts which will help both crusts adhere together.
- Cover the pies with the top crusts, crimping the crusts together all the way around.
- Bake the pies for 35 to 40 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack or windowsill until the pie is firm, about 45 minutes.
- Pie will keep for a week sealed in the refrigerator.