Apple season is upon us and Amish cooks are spinning these ruby red, golden, and yellow orbs into ciders, sauces, and cakes. We'll be doing a lot of apple recipes over the weeks ahead. This is an apple cake recipe that comes to me from apple country in Update New York. And, wow, it sounds good!
Amish Apple Pudding Cake With Cinnamon Glaze
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped peeled or unpeeled cooking apples (2 medium)
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening.
- In large bowl, mix brown sugar and softened butter with spoon until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, the nutmeg and salt.
- Stir in apples.
- Spread batter in pan.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat sauce ingredients over medium heat, stirring frequently, until butter is melted and sauce is hot.
- Serve warm sauce over warm cake
Leave a Reply