By Kevin Williams
When I close my eyes and think of Amish foods, there are a few foods that come immediately to mind.
Peanut Butter Spread
Those are just ones that come immediately to mind. Now I could come up with dozens and dozens of more from casseroles to marinades to soups, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.
These are some big, puffy caramel cinnamon rolls I found in an Amish bakery recently. My gosh, these are amazing.
- 1 /2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1 /2 ounce instant pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1 /2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups bread flour
- Caramel Icing
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/ 2 cup butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 /4 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients.
- Mix pudding with milk and add to the first 3 ingredients.
- Add butter, eggs, and salt to yeast mixture.
- Add flour.
- Let rise.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin.
- Spread with melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Roll up and cut into 1-inch slices. '
- Let rise.
- Bake at 350 until lightly golden brown.
- Stir butter and brown sugar over low heat until melted.
- Add milk and bring to a boil.
- Cool slightly.
- Add powdered sugar til desired consistency.