CARROT CAKE: Even people who don't like to eat their veggies can often stomach carrot cake. And, hey, we all the cake is a healthy thing to eat, after all, it has carrots in it, right? Um...yea, I wish it worked that way. I think all the sugar and the thick layer of cream cheese frosting negates any potential health benefits. But, wow, is this a delicious way to get your carrots. Yuh-um! This is a cake carrot cake with cream cheese frosting that I picked up at an Amish bakery today. Good stuff! The recipe below makes a similar carrot cake, it was given to me by an Amish woman in Kansas where, presumably, they grow great carrots. Doesn't this look delish? Here is here recipe
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded carrots (5 medium)
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with shortening or cooking spray; lightly flour.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, oil and eggs with until blended.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the salt; mix vigorously until well blended and smooth.
- Stir in carrots.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time until smooth and spreadable. Frost cake. Store covered in a refrigerator or cool cellar
Love carrot cake and this looks so yummy....So has Rachael made it yet for you ? Let us know when she does...
You don't have to eat the entire cake Kevin....give some to your mom & uncle and your neighbors, so what is left won't hurt you...that is what I do when I cook...
I made peanut butter bars, they were delicious, gave my daughter & family some, and some to (2) of her neighbors...
So what I had left, I've been eating them, a couple a day.....that way I don't end up eating it all.....
Mid-September....getting closer...and thanks so much, so thoughtful...but I think we're good...just send us prayers and positive thoughts!:)
Wanted to ask you Kevin, when is the baby due, and will you be accepting gifts ? I'm sure all of us on here will want to send the little one something 🙂 just let us know.....