Gloria actually had this recipe in a column a few weeks ago but decided at the last minute to substitute something else. She's not a big fan of boxed cake mixes, preferred to whip up her own confections from scratch instead. Still, cutting corners occasionally is something even Gloria will do from time to time. And sometimes a boxed cake mix does just the trick.
You can use any flavor of cake mix and any flavor of ice cream. Gloria would use her own homemade ice cream.
Amish Cook Bonus Recipe: Luscious Ice Cream Dessert
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 box cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 /2 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- ICE CREAM
- 1 / gallon ice cream, soften a little
- Add 3 /4 cups vanilla instant pudding.
- CAKE: Bake into 2 9 X13 pans (grease pans then line with wax paper) for 15-20 minutes. Do not over bake. Put into 2 9 X 13 tupperware pans. Freeze
- ICE CREAM: Whip ice cream with electric beater or hand mixer.
- Spread on top of frozen cake.
- Freeze again.
- Serve after it is frozen.
Gloria's Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup instant Clear Jel
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 quart frozen, chopped strawberries
- 3 cups of whole milk
- Stir the sugars, Clear Jel, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cream, and stir vigorously.
- Add vanilla, strawberries, and milk and mix well.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container, seal tightly, and freeze until firm.
Leave a Reply