I sampled this cake once at an Amish church function.Yum, yum, yum.
It is a really moist cake that is sometimes served at the after-church meal.
I sampled it once in Montana's Amish settlement. I wish I had a photo, but I do have the recipe.
If someone else makes it and wants to share a photo, please do.
- 10 eggs (separated)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and beat until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and salt until very thick and lemon colored. Add water and beat.
- Add sugar gradually, beating until thick enough to hold a soft peak.
- Fold egg whites and flour into egg yolk mixture.
- Bake in tube pan 40 minutes at 350.