AMISH GREAT DEPRESSION PIZZA CASSEROLE
The Great Depression cemented Amish culinary habits, which were already frugal. The Great Depression hit Amish families hard so cooks stretched ingredients and scratched out meals with whatever they had on hand. Note that this recipe has only 4 ingredients: hamburger, noodles, pizza sauce, and shredded cheddar cheese. Some add chopped onion to the hamburger. For the noodles, most of you are not going to make your own, I'd probably just use half a bag of store-bought dumpling noodles. The pizza sauce in the recipe would definitely be homemade, so when the recipe lists 2 jars, they'd be quart jars. So you can buy a store-bought brand in that quantity if you wish. But for the full authentic effect, this recipe would use home-butchered beef, homemade noodles, homemade pizza sauce, and a block - likely - of Colby cheese from the local Amish bulk food. Maybe Cheddar, but Colby would be more likely. So enjoy!
- 1 pound hamburger (brown with onion, drain)
- half pound of dumpling noodles (cooked and drained)
- 2 jars of pizza sauce
- 1 /2 pound shredded cheese
- Cover bottom of a 9 X 13 inch baking dish with one jar of pizza sauce.
- Add noodles.
- Sprinkle hamburger over noodles.
- Add some more pizza sauce.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 325 for 45 minutes covered.