By Kevin Williams
An elderly Amish lady in Upstate New York sent me this dessert recipe that definitely sounds worth a try. The instructions are a bit spare (such as baking time and temperature). I am sure this is one of these things where Anna Miller knows exactly how to make it and doesn’t even need a recipe, so trying to write it down was likely tough for her. There also is no pan size. If I were doing it, I’d probably use a square 9 X 9 baking dish. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Her handwriting was very shaky so some things were tough for me to decipher, but I did the best I could and share this recipe below. Good luck, it sounds delicious!
Serves: 5 servings
- 1 1 /2 cups brown sugar
- 2 1 /2 cups milk
- 1 /2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 12 graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon, heaping, of butter
- Melt butter and brown sugar and water and boil until thick.
- Add vanilla and put into a dish.
- Roll graham crackers and spread on top.
- Spread with beaten egg white and a few graham cracker crumbs, brown slightly.