Visiting some Amish friends of mine this week and enjoyed a delicious slice of homemade Dutch Apple Pie yesterday. It was a classic crumb-top Dutch. Unlike some versions I've enjoyed,this pie held together perfectly using home-grown apples and a homemade crust with lard. Take a look at this beauty topped with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream.
This is the Dutch Apple Pie recipe from Elizabeth Coblentz, the original Amish Cook and I imagine its quite similar to the slice I had yesterday. Apple pies are a favorite among the Amish. Yum!
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9")
- 4 to 6 apples
- --enough to fill a pie plate
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup margarine
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel apples and slice into pieces. Put them in the unbaked pie shall.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and milk. Pour over top of apples.
- Combine flour and sugar. Cut in margarine until crumbly. Sprinkle
- crumbs on top of apples in shell. Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Then lower the heat to 350 degrees and finish baking for about 40 to
- minutes or until the apples are tender and bubbly.
Leave a Reply