By Kevin Williams
Peas are one of the first garden goodies of the year to start appearing on Amish menus and they enjoy them through the year because of their bounty and home-canning. Peas often show up at Amish gatherings, often in the form of a salad. Unlike broccoli and cauliflower which can sometimes be difficult for older people to chew, peas are something that pretty much anyone can handle.
And often if you have a gathering to go and want something quick, few things are easier to throw together than a pea salad, which will perk up any picnic.
This particular pea salad would be a great addition to any Fourth of July picnic with its splash of flavors. A couple of tips when making this: I “cheated” and use canned peas and bought barbecue sauce.
I used the Kroger store-brand “simple truth” barbecue sauce and it is really good, but use your favorite or make your own. Also, all we had on hand was veggie bacon, so I used that. Veggie bacon or real is fine.
I like my bacon in large chunks in a salad, but you can crumble it so it is more like bacon bits or do what I did and throw it in in strips. Also, this recipe is good for about 3 – 4 people. If you are attending a picnic or other gathering, you can easily double or triple this without messing up the proportions. Enjoy! (Oh, and if you want some more Amish pea recipes or an Amish barbecue sauce recipe, scroll to below the recipe)
Serves: serves 4
- 1 15-ounce can of peas
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 4 strips of bacon, shredded or crumbled
- Dump peas into a big bowl.
- Add shredded cheese.
- In a separate bowl mix mustard, mayonnaise, honey, and barbecue sauce until well blended.
- Then chop and added the egg to the sauce.
- Mix until egg is well coated.
- Add shredded or crumbled bacon to the pea and cheese mixture.
- Then add sauce and stir until peas are coated and the sauce is evenly distributed
- Refrigerate for one hour.
RELATED RECIPES: Amazing Amish Peas, Amish Wigglers, Homemade Oklahoma Amish Barbecue Sauce
HAM & PEA SALAD
2 c. green peas
1 1/2 c. chopped cooked ham
1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 c. chopped red onion
1/2 c. ranch salad dressing
In a serving bowl, combine the peas, ham, cheese, and onion. Pour the dressing over the top and toss to coat evenly.