By Kevin Williams
This is one of these hearty, one-pot type suppers that is so popular among the Amish. I can never get enough of these types of meals.
This recipe comes from an Amish woman in Pennsylvania and it's just so classic.
Recipe tester Barbara tried this one for us. Barbara said: "This is a good hearty meal and you should be able to taste and adjust as you need!"
So for an easy, hearty one-dish meal give this Amish classic a shot!
Emma Glick's Chili Skillet Supper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 c. chopped onion
- ½ c. chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 c. tomato juice
- 1 8 oz can red kidney beans
- 4 t. chili powder
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. salt
- ½ c. long grained rice uncooked
- 1 c. corn
- 1 c. shredded cheese
- ½ c. sliced black olives
- In a large skillet cook beef, onion, pepper and garlic until meat is brown and vegetables tender; drain fat.
- Add tomato juice, kidney beans, chili powder, oregano, salt and rice; cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in corn and olives; cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover and cook until cheese melts. Yield: 4 servings.