CHICKEN RECIPES BELOW.....FAVORITE PHOTO FIRST
By Kevin Williams
Poultry is popular in Amish kitchens, because most Plain people have chickens pecking around their property. The presence of fowl provides a ready supply of fresh meat and eggs. All of these recipes would taste better using free-range chickens that get to pluck and peck and meander their way around. These recipes will work using supermarket birds for sure, but you'll get optimum taste using free-range.
BEST-EVER OVEN-BAKED AMISH BARBECUED CHICKEN: This is an amazing recipe that I got to sample at an Amish benefit supper in Pearisburg, Virginia. Yum. Click here for the recipe.
PAPER SACK CHICKEN: This is a popular recipe in Amish kitchens, it seals in the moisture while keeping the coating. Yum, yum. Cluck here. (Lol, sorry, couldn't resist).
CHICKEN STUFFING CASSEROLE: This an amazingly filling and inventive recipe. Check it out here.
IRON SKILLET BUTTERMILK CHICKEN: Check out this amazing recipe that'll keep your taste buds busy!
MATTIE YODER'S MELT IN YOUR MOUTH YOGURT CHICKEN
This recipe is from an Amish woman in Ohio. I had the opportunity to watch her make homemade yogurt when I was at her house. One of her uses for yogurt? With baked chicken. She swore up and down it made for a very moisty, tasty bird.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 ounces of homemade or store bought plain yogurt
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F . Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Combine yogurt, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings. Spread over chicken breasts. Bake for 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and topping is browned. Serve immediately.
This next recipe comes to us from a Mennonite woman in northern Indiana. Super easy and presented in a loaf form, so here it is!
- c. cooked chicken
- 1 c. soft bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. parsley
- 2 tbsp. celery
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- Mix all ingredients.
- Pour into buttered loaf pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.