Try this recipe that comes to us from an Amish woman in Ohio. YUM! This is one of these pies that actually tastes better the next day after sitting overnight in your fridge.
Most Amish cooks, by the way, would make their own homemade cottage cheese for the pie. I'll share a recipe for homemade cottage cheese soon, so stay tuned!
- 1 (16 ounce) package small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1½ cups milk
- Place cottage cheese in strainer and let drain for about 1 hour or until most of liquid has been drained.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, salt, egg yolks, evaporated milk, and regular milk.
- Mix well.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat egg whites until firm.
- Fold into batter until smooth.
- Pour into pie crusts.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce oven to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on racks, then refrigerate.