CRANBERRY JELLO SALAD
Cranberry Jello Salad: Cranberries seem to be the "fruitcake" of Thanksgiving. People either love them or hate them. I'm not really a fan. I often dab a spoonful onto my plate at Thanksgiving just because that seems like what you're supposed to do,but they are not my favorite. So this cranberry jello salad doesn't seem all that appealing. On the other hand, my wife LOVES cranberries so she'd probably be all over this dish. So for the cranberry lovers out there, enjoy this salad recipe from Rosanna, our Plain Kansas columnist. This is her mother's "signature dish" at Thanksgiving so it must really be good if you like cranberries!
- one pound bag of raw cranberries to make 2 cups of cranberries.
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 cups apples
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2-3 ounce boxes of cherry Jell-o
- 2 cups undrained, crushed pineapple
- Shred a one pound bag of raw cranberries to make 2 cups of cranberries.
- Cook together cranberries, sugar and water until cranberries are softened.
- While cranberries are cooling, shred enough unpeeled apples to make 2 cups.
- Then mix together boiling water with jello.
- Stir into the jello shredded apples, cooled cranberries, and pineapple.
- Pour mixture into a bowl or ungreased Jell-o ring mold.
- Chill several hours until set.
- To remove the salad from the ring mold, run hot tap water over the mold before inverting onto a serving platter. (Cook time listed below reflects "chill time")