By Kevin Williams
This is from the Buchanan County, Iowa Amish cookbook published in the 1970s. And you all have picked Amazon.com clean of any available copies!:) I hope those of you that have the book are enjoying its trove of recipes. Interesting, also published in the 1970s, there was a second cookbook of Buchanan County, Iowa recipes. I might have to order that also. There are a few copies left.
This double cheese and ham bake is a wonderfully hearty recipe that are typical of what you’d find in an Amish farmhouse.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 /4 cup butter
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 /2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 /2 cup slivered ham
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 /4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1 /2 cups milk, scalded
- little paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain.
- Add butter and toss until coated.
- Add remaining ingredients except paprika,
- Mix well.
- Turn into 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with paprika,
- Bake at 325 for 40 to 45 minutes.