Okay, it's hard to beat Auntie Anne's pretzels, but you can make your own. They are really easy. Try this recipe from The Amish Cook's Baking Book, by Lovina Eicher and Yours Truly.
Makes: 6 medium pretzels.
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup warm but not hot water
- 1¾ cups bread flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- coarse salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yeast, sugar, salt and warm water. Stir in the flour until a rough ball forms.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead with lightly floured hands until smooth (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Divide the dough into 6 equal balls. Roll each into a rope about 10 inches long. Shape into pretzel forms. Brush the pretzels with the egg and sprinkle with the salt. Bake until barely light golden, about 10 minutes.