- 14 pounds of tomatoes, scalded, peeled and cut up
- 10 green peppers, chopped
- 5 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 ounces of hot peppers, chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano flakes
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 teaspoons Clear Jel
- Mix all of the above ingredients, except for the Clear Jel.
- Everything is cooked on stovetop for 45 minutes, then I add the
- Clear-Jel. After that is added, cold-pack it for 20 minutes.
You have to really know what you are doing with this recipe, but the end reward is a tasty, homemade salsa. Salsa really is a natural fit for most Amish cooks because the ingredients for a great salsa are in the garden. This recipe calls for "clear gel" which is a thickener that is not widely available. You can find it usually in Amish or Mennonite owned bulk food stores. And, of course, you have to know how to cold pack. But this photo is the end result of what you get, jars of colorful, richly red homemade salsa which I saw in an Amish cellar.
Yum, wouldn't this go well with some warm chips! This is the recipefor the salsa in the photo: