Old-Fashioned Missouri Tomato Bread
- 4 1 /2 cups tomato juice
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground basil
- 1 /2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 12 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 4 loaf pans and set aside. Heat the tomato juice to lukewarm in a large saucepan. Add the butter, sugar, salt, oregano, basil, ketchup, and yeast. Let the mixture set a few minutes todissolve the yeast. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough, kneading when necessary. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. Divide the dough among the prepared pans. Allow to rise for 20 minutes longer.
Bake for 1 hour.