I posted yesterday about the fast-food influence on Amish diets. Sometimes the influence isn't all bad. A popular item at a fast-food chain will capture the Amish imagination, but they'll take the food concept home and put their own touches and twists to it. Breakfast burritos are a staple on the McDonalds and Burger King morning menu, but they've also become popular in Amish homes. The Amish version is tastier, and I would imagine healthier. This is how they look being made at her house on one of my visits. Here is an Amish teenager (hence the bracelet) spooning the eggs onto the burritos. Below is the recipe so you can try it yourself. You can use either sausage or bacon with this recipe, but the usually uses bacon is used. The burritos can be put into freezer bags and frozen for quick reheating.
- 2 pounds of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8½- inch flour tortillas
- 1 /2 cup diced green peppers
- 1 /2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 /4 cup chopped onions
- Eggs, two large eggs per tortilla
- 10 Cheddar cheese slices
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large skillet over medium heat fry together pepper and onions, and drain. Stir in crumbled bacon. In a separate skillet, scramble the eggs. Lay tortillas in the center of a square of foil. In the center of the tortilla put slices of cheese, then put a layer of meat mixture and top with scrambled eggs. Fold the burritos by wrapping in tin foil. Bake at 350°F until hot, about 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream and salsa.