As the summer salad season approaches, this broccoli salad recipe is definitely a keeper! The recipe comes from an Amish woman in Navarre, Ohio. Navarre is at the northern edge of Ohio’s “Amish archipelago.” Some of you may know Navarre as home to the Nickle’s Bread bakery, the smell of which permeates every corner and crack of the town. The rolling hills and temperate climate of this part of Ohio makes it ideal for growing gardens full of broccoli, some of which can be used in this delicious salad recipe. Give it a try!
Amish entrees that go great paired with broccoli salad:
Recipe for Broccoli Salad
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ pound bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Combine the chopped broccoli and cauliflower in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, and salt to make a creamy dressing.
- Add the dressing to the broccoli–cauliflower mix, stirring to evenly coat the vegetables.
- Stir in the bacon and the cheese, reserving a small amount to sprinkle on top of the salad just before serving.