By Kevin Williams
I have to admit I had never heard of "mashed potato candy" until I encountered it an Amish bakery yesterday. I thought maybe it was called that just because it looked like mashed potatoes. So I asked the Amish baker if the candy really contained mashed potatoes and she assured me that it did. So she gave me a few pieces to take home and was nice enough to share the recipe with all of us. You really can't taste the potatoes...at least I can't, it's overpowered (or over powdered in this case) by the sugar...I think some creative Amish baker had a bunch of leftover mashed potatoes once and came up with this easy recipe!
- 1 cup of mashed potatoes
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract,
- 2 pounds powdered (confectioners) sugar, sifted**
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- Mix powdered sugar with mashed potatoes.
- Add vanilla and mix until it is like pie dough.
- Roll out in shape of pie crust with a rolling pin.
- Spread with peanut butter.
- Roll up small and cut in slices, about ½-inch thick.
- Place on large platter and put in refrigerator until chilled.