This is an old recipes from an Amish woman in Indiana.
I still have the handwritten recipe that she gave me.
- 1 package dry or compressed yeast
- 1 1 /4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, unsifted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons soft shortening
- Dissolve yeast in water, add honey, half the white flour, salt and shortening.
- Mix well.
- Blend in remaining flour with spoon.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Stir batter down and spread it evenly in a greased loaf pan, 9 X 5 X 3 inches.
- Let rise in warm place until batter reaches 1 /2 in from the top of pan.
- About 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 40 - 40 minutes.
- Brush top with shortening.
- Makes 1 loaf.