SIGH, I always say I am not going to post anymore breakfast casserole recipes because I have done so many, but then I find one I want to share.This recipe comes to us from a Mrs. Roy Yoder in Colorado. The recipe is very basic, but that is what makes it so authentic. And, keep in mind, I am sure the bread she is using is homemade, with fresh home-butchered pork, fresh eggs, and maybe even home-sourced milk. I'm sure with that kind of freshness you only do need to season lightly with salt and pepper.
The photo above is of Mrs. Yoder's handwritten recipe copy. Like many Amish women, her handwriting is quite nice.
- 7 to 8 slices of bread
- 1 pound sausage
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Line a greased 9 X 13 pan with bread slices.
- Spoon on browned sausage then cover with cheese.
- Beat together eggs and milk; add salt and pepper to suit taste.
- Pour over everything.
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until set firmly.
- Can be put together the day before and refrigerated.
- Then just pop into the oven and bake.
Leave a Reply