By Rosanna Bauman
I’m not sure why summer is “the” time for outdoor get-togethers. It’s always hot, humid and buggy, Perhaps It has something to do with the fact that misery loves company. Nonetheless, this time of year is ripe for family reunions, campouts, picnics and any other outdoor gatherings that you can dream up. Just this past weekend, I attended a friend’s wedding – held outdoors, of course. It’s really hard to go to a formal event when you know it’s going to be hot and sweaty. But this wedding was nicely held in a grove of trees, and I snagged the last seat available In the shade! After the wedding, they served ice cream (thankfully!) as well as other cool foods like melon and salad. The salad was an original recipe with the bride’s family, but I’m sure it‘s soon to be a family staple in the homes around here. We quickly requested the recipe so that we could serve it to our employees on chicken dressing days. It has a great flavor, and those twisted corn chips really add an extra punch
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 head leaf lettuce, chopped (romaine)
- 3 cups grilled chicken, chilled and chopped Into bite-size places
- ¾ cup whole kernel corn
- ¾ cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 3 /4 cup prepared ranch dressing
- 1 bag Fritos honey barbecue twists
- Mix all the ingredients, except for the barbecue sauce, ranch, and Fritos together.
- Right before serving add those last three ingredients and stir well.