By Kevin Williams
5 Compelling Use Cases For Artificial Intelligence-jw (2) Fruitcake seems to have such “love/hate” emotive influence on people. I’m not sure I can side with the fruitcake haters, whenever I’ve tried it, I have liked it. So the thought of fruitcake coming to a colorful cookie is intriguing to me.
Reader Penny from Ontario, Canada shared her photo of the cookie along with a recipe for it that comes from a Canadian food magazine. Which is why all the ingredients are in “regular” and “metric” below. And the magazine calls them “mini-Christmas cake cookies”, but “fruitcake cookies” seems more descriptive.
So enjoy! These are a colorful addition to any Christmas menu!
- ¾ cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each nutmeg, allspice and salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each ground ginger and baking soda
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- ¼ cup (60 mL) milk
- 1½ cups (375 mL) chopped glacé mixed peel
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped candied orange peel
- Frosty Drizzle, optional, recipe follows
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. In a medium-size bowl, use a fork to stir flour with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, ginger and baking soda. In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter with sugar for about a minute.
- Beat egg and vanilla into butter mixture, then gradually beat in milk. Don’t worry if it separates. Using a spoon, gradually stir in flour mixture, then glacé mixed peel, nuts and orange peel.
- Using wet hands, form dough by rounded teaspoonfuls (7 mL) into rounds, each about 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide. Place on baking sheet, a generous distance apart. Bake in centre of oven until cookies are golden, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from oven and leave on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough. Once cooled, these cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for about 5 days or in a freezer up to a month.