By Kevin Williams
Like the rest of America, the Amish are enamored by chicken: fried,baked, grilled, or steamed, poultry finds its way into many supper dishes. This is an easy recipe that comes to us from an Amish woman in Ethridge, Tennessee (very conservative Swartzentruber community). This recipe is popular because it is easy and it makes its own gravy as it bakes. Perfect!
- 1 whole chicken cut and quartered
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder (I used granulated garlic)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups water
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika in zippered plastic baggie.
- Add chicken pieces to the baggie and shake to coat well.
- Remove chicken pieces and place in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Mix cream and water and pour over chicken.
- Bake for 1 to 1½ hours until golden brown.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.