By Kevin Williams
Like the rest of America, the Amish are enamored by chicken: fried,baked, grilled, or steamed, poultry finds its way into many supper dishes. This is an easy recipe that comes to us from an Amish woman in Ethridge, Tennessee (very conservative Swartzentruber community). This recipe is popular because it is easy and it makes its own gravy as it bakes. Perfect!
Amish Chicken With Gravy
Serves: serves 6
- 1 whole chicken cut and quartered
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder (I used granulated garlic)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups water
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika in zippered plastic baggie.
- Add chicken pieces to the baggie and shake to coat well.
- Remove chicken pieces and place in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Mix cream and water and pour over chicken.
- Bake for 1 to 1½ hours until golden brown.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
This is a similar recipe that I have used for many years I butter a chicken breast well, then dredge it in flour, lay it in a baking dish....then pour enough whipping cream (not heavy)over the chicken to cover, salt and pepper, and bake it for 30 minutes. THEN I add a cup or so of shredded mozzarella cheese and sliced mushrooms, and bake for another 15-20 minutes. I've never used water, but will try next time.
Best wishes for an easy birth and a healthy baby girl. Have you decided on a name?