This is one of these classic Amish recipes, basic baking but very versatile. The recipe calls for apple pie filling, but you could use cherry, blueberry, peach, or any other similar fruit. You can use a can of store-bought pie filling or you can use your own. This is a favorite after-school snack in The Amish Cook's home. The photos are from one of our recipe testers, showing the apples and then the final product. Enjoy!
FRUIT-FILLED OATMEAL SQUARES
Amish Fruit-Filled Oatmeal Squares
- 1 /2 cup butter or margarine (½ cup butter at room temperature)
- 1 /4 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1 /2 cups quick oatmeal
- 21 oz can of apple pie filling
- Mix first four ingredients together until crumbly. Press 2 /3 crumbs in a 9" square pan. Reserve other 1 /3 crumbs. Pour pie filling over crumbs in pan. Sprinkle the 1 /3 crumbs on top. Bake at 325 for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown and cool and cut into squares
This looks very similar to a crisp as I have always known it, except for it having the bottom crust. Even the ingredients are the same.
Maybe the recipe should be called "Crisp With a Crust":) I think it'd be good with blueberries, I'll have to try that!
Was this recipe doubled ? The pan pictured is not a 9 inch square pan, looks more like a 9x13?
Thanks for any help.
The pan sure looks square to me -- like a 9 inch pan. It is a close-up picture so maybe that's why you think it looks bigger.
Love this recipe. It's a big hit at our house.