This is one of these classic Amish recipes, basic baking but very versatile. The recipe calls for apple pie filling, but you could use cherry, blueberry, peach, or any other similar fruit. You can use a can of store-bought pie filling or you can use your own. This is a favorite after-school snack in The Amish Cook's home. The photos are from one of our recipe testers, showing the apples and then the final product. Enjoy!
FRUIT-FILLED OATMEAL SQUARES
- 1 /2 cup butter or margarine (½ cup butter at room temperature)
- 1 /4 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1 /2 cups quick oatmeal
- 21 oz can of apple pie filling
- Mix first four ingredients together until crumbly. Press 2 /3 crumbs in a 9" square pan. Reserve other 1 /3 crumbs. Pour pie filling over crumbs in pan. Sprinkle the 1 /3 crumbs on top. Bake at 325 for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown and cool and cut into squares