By Kevin Williams
We had a can of strawberry pie filling in our pantry, so my 2 1 /2 year old daughter, Aster, and I decided to put it to work in an Amish recipe. Yes, most Amish homemakers would use their own home-canned pie filling, but we didn't have that available, so we settled for the store-bought. Strawberries will be in season here soon so this seemed like the perfect time of year to give this a try. This is a very simple recipe. My only "complaint" is it did not make enough. This recipe makes an 8 X 8 a pan full, but the time I gave some away to my parents, Rachel's co-workers, etc there were barely any left for us. That said, not a bad thing considering I'm really trying to watch what I eat. But if you are feeding a crowd you might want to double this recipe so you can do a 9 X 13 pan. An 8 X 8 pan would still give you enough to get a good 20 bars, but if you have people like me in the crowd that could put away 3 - 4, you might want more! This recipe comes to us from an Amish woman in Partridge, Kansas's Amish community. Give it a try, this one is definitely a keeper!
Serves: 18 bars
- ½ c butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ c light brown sugar
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 c strawberry pie filling (or any kind you would like)
- ½ c sour cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare an 8×8 square pan by lining lightly greasing it.
- Make the crust by whisking together in a medium bowl the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the melted butter.
- The dough will be crumbly but make sure all of the butter is incorporated.
- Reserve ¾ cup of the crust and press the remaining into the bottom of your 8×8 prepared baking pan.
- For the sour cream filling, mix together in a large bowl the sour cream, pie filling, sugar, 1 Tbsp flour, egg, and vanilla.
- Pour over the crust in your 8×8 pan.
- Sprinkle your reserved ¾ cup crust over the top and bake for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely and serve into squares.