Breakfast is often referred to as the most important meal of the day. Among the Amish that is especially true because strenuous work is very much a part of the ethos still and that means a start to the day loaded with protein and calories. And what better way to start your day than with a classic breakfast dish with a delicious twist?
Eggs La Golden is a dish that has been enjoyed for generations, it also goes simply by the name "creamed eggs and toast" or "creamy eggs on toast." Each family has their own slight variation. This dish is not only mouth-watering but also easy to prepare. With just a few simple ingredients, you can transform your breakfast into a golden delight that will leave your taste buds dancing. The golden twist adds a whole new dimension to this classic dish, elevating it to new heights of deliciousness. So, why not crack into deliciousness with Eggs La Golden and start your day off right?
This "Eggs La Golden" recipe, or "Creamed Eggs on Toast" is an interesting recipe that was given to me by an Amish family in St. Ignatius, Montana. Most Amish families there do own hens that give them an ample supply of fresh eggs. The eggs find their way into numerous dishes, including this one. Fresh eggs definitely have a more golden hue so the recipe is true to its name.
📜 Tips For Great Creamed Eggs on Toast
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients. This will make a big difference in the flavor of the dish. For instance, for the shortening, if you have access to lard, use lard!
- Make sure the eggs are cooked through. Hard-cooked eggs should be firm to the touch and the yolks should be a deep yellow color.
- Don't overcook the white sauce. It should be thick but still pourable.
- Be careful not to overmix the egg mixture. Overmixing will make the eggs tough.
- Serve Eggs La Golden immediately. The dish is best served hot and fresh.
🙋 FAQ Creamed Eggs on Toast
Yes, you can use skim milk, but whole milk will give you a richer, creamier sauce.
Yes, you can cook egg whites for a faster version of this dish.
You can also add other ingredients to the egg mixture, such as grated Parmesan cheese, chopped chives, or diced ham.
🥚 More Amish Egg Recipes
Eggs are a staple in Amish homes. They are cheap, plentiful, and protein-packed. Here are some more favorite ways Amish cooks use eggs:
Egg-In-Nest - Delicious!
Egg Dutch - An old recipe!
Eggs La Golden: A delicious meal.
Turkey Sausage Egg Skillet - Hearty meal!
🖨️ Full Recipe
Amish Creamed Eggs on Toast
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices toast
- Melt the shortening in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and salt, and stir until well-blended
- . Slowly add the milk to the flour mixture, stirring constantly until a smooth paste is formed.
- Separate the whites from the yolks of the hard-cooked eggs.
- Finely chop the egg whites; stir the chopped egg whites into the white sauce until evenly combined.
- Season the sauce with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the toast slices on a platter and pour the white sauce over them. ' Mash the egg yolks through a sieve and sprinkle lightly over the sauce.