Marshmallows and summer go together like, well, chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers. Those called, of course, s'mores and the recipe below is called a homemade marshmallow bar. Yum! Try these for an indoor version of the campfire favorite, except better possibly better. The recipe comes to us from an Old Order Mennonite woman in Central Pennsylvania.
Deluxe Marshmallow Bars
- 3 /4 cup margarine
- 1½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1 /3 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 /2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 /2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 8 ounce chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa.
- Add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread in a greased jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.
- Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over cake.
- Return to oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Using a knife dipped in water, spread the melted marshmallows over cake.
- For topping, combine chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter in a small saucepan.
- Cook over heat, stirring constantly until melted and well blended.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cereal and spread over bars.
These sound amazingly good! Since it seems to rain each time we have the grandkids over this summer,we haven't done much s'more making..to their dismay. I think I'll give this a try, I think it will satisfy them!
Thank you so much for the recipe! I think I will make these for our next church dinner!
I'm saving up to subscribe to your new endeavor soon! I think it's a great idea!
Tina, thank you! If you make these and are to take a pic, please send to me and I'll post it. And thanks for considering signing up!