This is a classic Amish recipe: simple and sweet and something that you just press into a pan and bake. Yum. So if you are angling for different dessert that is easy and delicious to take to your weekend picnic, look no further.
Serves: 24 bars
- ½ cup melted butter (1stick)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle position
- Melt the butter.
- Add the brown and white sugars and let cool a bit.
- Add egg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Add flour and mix.
- Then add the chocolate chips and oats and mix everything up.
- The dough will be quite stiff.
- With a spatula spread dough evenly into a greased 8x8 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25– 30 minutes.
- Cut into bars when cool.