By Kevin Williams
This recipe was sent to me by a Mennonite woman. And that's all I know. The top half the paper is sheared off somehow and the years have made the paper rather dog-eared, but the recipe itself is intact so I figure why not share it? They sound really tasty. You can use your own homemade cake mix or cheat and use boxed.
There's really not much to this recipe, but I bet the cookies are yummy and "cakey." This one is definitely on my "try" list soon:
The recipe below calls for boxed cake mix, BUT, many Amish cooks have their own homemade mixes on hand, check out recipes for for these mixes here!
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3 /4 cups cool whip
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Mix cake mix , eggs, and Cool Whip until well blended.
- The dough will be stiff.
- Refrigerate dough, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll cookies in powdered sugar to coat.
- Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are puffed in appearance and firm on the edges (centers will still be slightly soft)
- Let cookies rest on cookie sheets for 2 minutes.
- Cookies will fall giving them a cracked appearance.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack with metal spatula and cook completely.