The recipe is called "Swiss Spinach Bake" and has its roots in the Berne, Indiana Amish settlement. It's a wonderfully filling, hearty meal.
- 1 15.5 ounce can spinach (or equivalent of fresh, garden spinach)
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup cubed bread
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Drain spinach and squeeze out excess liquid (substitute frozen chopped spinach, thawed , if desired).
- If using fresh spinach, wash thoroughly and tear leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Wilt spinach in a covered pan (adding no extra water).
- Combine the spinach with the beaten eggs, milk, cheese, bread crumbs, onions, and Parmesan cheese.
- Turn mixture into a greased 1 quart baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.