I am bumping this recipe to the top tonight because, WOW, look what Laurie from the Mansfield News-Journal country did:). She made this recipe for “pizza loaf” and sent me this awesome photo. Laurie wrote that she “served the pizza loaf with Italian green beans and red potatoes, a deviled egg and individual apple pies baked in the apple. We really liked it!.” I want to go to Laurie’s house for supper!
This dish is very typical of the type that Amish cooks like to either invent or embrace: hearty, pizza-y, and easy. Plus it feeds a family of 6 or 8 people. So if you’re looking for something hearty and easy, pizza loaf may be for you! (If you do try this, please take a photo and share with us here). This recipe comes to me from an Amish woman near Charm,Ohio.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 1 /2 pounds ground beef
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 /4 cup chopped onions
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 /4 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1 /2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 /4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine all ingredients except cheese.
- Pat half of mixture into a lightly greased oblong pan.
- Put cheese (reserve a few tablespoons) on top then cover with other half of beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle reserved cheese on top a few minutes before serving.