By Kevin Williams
This is a popular recipe in Mennonite homes as a festive, breakfast celebration and is particular popular around Valentine's Day or as a Valentine's Day morning breakfast surprise!
Thanks to reader Shayla for trying this one out.
She has her pancake didn't puff, but it was still delicious...perhaps baked it a minute or two long. So give this one a try as a morning sweet for your sweetie!
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- fresh strawberries, unsweetened
- powdered sugar
- Pre heat oven to 425º.
- Add eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, orange zest and salt into a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place butter into oven proof glass pie plates. I used two individual 7"pie plates that are 1 ½" deep, but you can use one 9" or 10" pie plate. If using two, place 1 tablespoon butter in each. If using one larger pan put all the butter in the pan.
- Once the oven is up to temperature, place pans with butter in oven until butter is melted and small bubbles begin to show, but don't allow the butter to brown. It will melt quickly.
- As soon as the butter is melted quickly pour your pre mixed batter into the pans. Do not stir.
- Close the oven door.....and do not open for 18 minutes. Turn on the light and watch as the pancake begins to rise up....but please listen...DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR TO PEEK...THE PANCAKE WILL FALL. Through the window of your oven door you will see it become golden brown as the sides puff up and there will be a deep hollow in the centre, creating a bowl. It's beautifully baked through when it's done. The bottom is very thin, and the sides will be thicker and done to perfection.
- During the last few minutes of baking I put my plates into my warming oven. These pancakes cool off fast, so it's nice to have a warm plate to serve it on.
- Fill with fresh cut strawberries or a mixture of any fruit. Peaches, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries are some of my favourites. Dust with powdered sugar and syrup on the side.