This short recipe was scribbled on the back of another recipe an Amish woman sent me. Bacon seems so popular these days that I thought I should decipher it and share it with you. Bacon has never gone out of style in Amish kitchens, by the way. Butchering of pork is usually done in the winter and bacon is one of the favorites from that day.
You'll find BLT sandwiches, bacon in salads, for breakfast, for supper, and just generally everywhere and anywhere on Amish menus! The name of this recipe is kind of funny.
I chuckled because it sounds vaguely like a dog treat, but this bacon treat is for humans!:)
- 10 – 12 slices of bacon
- sleeve of crushed saltines
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over low heat.
- Crush crackers on a plate.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs very well.
- Then dip bacon slices into the beaten eggs, completely coating on each side.
- Then roll the bacon slices into the cracker crumbs so that each side is completely covered in crumbs.
- Put into buttered skillet over low heat and brown each crumb-covered bacon slice on each side.
- Serve warm.
- Note: if you like your bacon very crispy, fry the bacon before dipping it in eggs and rolling it in crumbs.
- If you like your bacon more on the “rare” side, just dip slices in eggs, roll in crumbs and brown.