This is a delicious, gooey confection that is popular in Amish kitchens. The photo is courtesy of one of our recipe testers. This is a very typical “bar” type recipe that are quite popular in Amish Cook kitchen. Give these a try if you want an easy after-school snack or just a quick, easy, delicious dessert!
The recipe and a photo is below. These are the types of desserts that are popular in Amish kitchens because they use very basic ingredients that still pack a flavor punch. Brown sugar, coconut, and almonds make this a really flavorful bar. And these do keep well, just stow them in a sealable container and enjoy!
Chances are they won't last long enough to store anyway! With summer coming on and the kids at home, snacks like these are also popular just to keep in a container in the kitchen throughout the day. With summer coming up, it means working in the garden, outdoors, and elsewhere, so these bars are good fuel. Yum!
- 1 /2 cup margarine
- 1 /2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 / 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup almonds
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For the crust, in a small mixing bowl, stir margarine, brown sugar and flour until the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Press and flatten with hand to cover ungreased 9 X 13 inch pan.
- Bake for 10- 12 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the topping.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and then stir in brown sugar, vanilla, flour, baking powder, salt, coconut and almonds.
- Remove crust from oven and spread topping evenly over crust. Return to oven and bake 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Leave a Reply