BAKED CHICKEN IN CREAM
This recipe - baked chicken in cream - comes from a Pennsylvania "committee of Amish women". Not quite sure what that means, but the recipe sounds great:) The ingredients used in an Amish kitchen would generally be fresh, homegrown, and homemade but I'm sure this would taste yummy with store-bought also. Obviously if you have your own young farm-raised chicken and fresh cream, the taste will be better. Okay, simple supper, give it a try!
- 1 young chicken, cut up
- 1/ 2 cup flour
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups cream, sweet or sour
- Sprinkle the pieces of chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Melt butter and fry chicken until a golden brown on all sides.
- Place the chicken in a casserole, pour the cream over it.
- Cover and bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 2 hours.
- Serve with gravy made from the pan fryings left after frying the chicken