By Kevin Williams
I wanted to share another award-winning recipe from my friend Carmon Hacker since it is deep into zucchini season. My gosh, to think a zucchini could be made into something so deliciously looking gorgeous.
I hope everyone has enjoyed this 3-part county fair recipe series from Carmon. Thank you Carmon for sharing your recipes and beautiful photos! This cake has captured a ribbon in the fair's competitive cake category. Man, it looks good!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, salt and baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups unpeeled zucchini, shredded
- ⅔ cup cinnamon applesauce
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour 3 8-inch cake pans.
- Mix eggs, oil and vanilla
- In small bowl. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add eggs and oil to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Next, add zucchini and applesauce and mix. Finally, fold in nuts.
- Distribute as evenly as possible in prepared cake pans.
- Bake two layers together, then the third layer. Baking time will
- be about 25 minutes, just until the center of cake springs back when touched lightly with finger.
- Cool layers in pan about 10 minutes before turning them out onto plate.
- Place potholder under
- plates and allow layers to cool completely before frosting in between and top of layers with
- cream cheese frosting. If desired decorate top with halves or pieces of walnuts.
Carmon's Cream Cheese Frosting
8-ounce brick of cream cheese, softened
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
4-5 cups confectioner’s sugar
Combine cream cheese and butter in mixing bowl, along with vanilla and salt. Mix on low for
about 2-3 minutes, until thoroughly combined. Add confectioner’s sugar ½ cup at a time,
beating well after each addition and continuing to mix on low. When icing is a thick, creamy
consistency, go ahead and spread it on cake. I have found that the icing maintains a better
consistency when you do not add milk to it.
this cake is wonderful!!' I love it. Becky