This is an easy dessert that showed up at a New Year's party I went to. This dessert has caught on on Pinterest and other food sites because it is so decadently delicious and easy to make. The Amish are not immune to food fads. All it takes is for one Amish woman to show up at a potluck with a delicious dessert like chocolate eclair cake and then everyone there will be asking for the recipe and it'll spread out like the proverbial wildfire through the settlement. I think that is probably how dishes that don't seem "Amish" spread out and become traditions in their communities. Date pudding, I think, is probably a good example as would be "deep dish taco squares" (a really popular dish in Amish kitchens, I'll share a version sometime). Anyway, this is a recipe for chocolate eclair cake, probably coming to an Amish kitchen near you!:) And if not, just make it yourself, this is some good stuff!
By the way, if this recipe does start to show up in Amish kitchens, you'll see "tweaks"....homemade whipped cream in place of Cool Whip, for example, and homemade chocolate frosting instead of from a can. But you can do it using all store-bought stuff if you wish!
- 1 box graham crackers
- 2 sm. boxes vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (9 oz.) Cool Whip
- 3 c. milk
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- chocolate frosting
- Beat pudding with powdered sugar and milk until smooth; fold in Cool Whip.
- Grease 9x13 cake pan or Pyrex dish with butter.
- Place layer of graham crackers on bottom and pour ½ of the pudding mixture over crackers.
- Add another layer of crackers and top with remaining pudding mixture.
- Top with graham crackers and spread with a thin chocolate frosting.