Rhubarb is a staple in Amish kitchens. This is a favorite rhubarb recipe among Amish cooks.
Serves: serves 6
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup raw rolled oats
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ cup butter or shortening.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix rhubarb, sugar, and flour well and place in a greased baking dish.
- Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle it over the rhubarb mixture.
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
- It's done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve warm with milk or cream.
This is one of my favorite Rhubarb recipes. I am hoping to start my own patch this spring. Need to get busy. 🙂
Looking forward to rhubarb season, love it! I will have to try this recipe, I use it for all sorts of things. I have so much, I sell some to Mennonite bakers for pies that they sell at our local farmers market. I enter my garden items in two local fairs and my rhubarb has won many Blue ribbons including "best of show" in the vegtable division this past year.
I envy all of you that can grow your own rhubarb. Since moving to South Carolina, its too warm to grow it. I miss my mom's homemade strawberry rhubarb pie! We have to wait for the grocery stores to bring it in, and they only get it for a week for the whole year! So all of us transplanted northerners make a mad rush to grab it up and freeze it.